The collection of meteorites at the Mineralogical Museum of the University of Hamburg dates back to 1863. At that time the Natural History Museum Hamburg possessed one meteorite only: the "Siderophyr" from Steinbach (Rittersgrün), Saxony (1724). During the tenure of the first curator (O. Mügge) the collection enhanced to 42 meteorites. Following his retirement (1887), under the stewardship of C. C. Gottsche (until 1909), the meteorite collection extended from 42 to 139 falls and finds.
The meteorites of the museum are online accessible and researchable for the public via the collection portal FUNDus of the University of Hamburg.
In 1908 funds from the Jenisch-Foundation (Hamburg) and support from a number of museum patrons enabled the purchase of three large iron meteorites (424 kg, 340 kg and 255 kg) from the Gibeon area (Namibia). While the two smaller meteorites were cut into slices and used for exchange, the larger block of 424 kg was kept. It is now the largest meteorite in Germany and is displayed in the main hall of the Mineralogical Museum.
In the last 20 years the meteorite collection further expanded and improved through purchase, donations, exchange as well as own research and expeditions to Mongolia, North Africa (Libya and Niger), Antarctica and the United Arab Emirates.
Nowadays (2012) the collection contains 927 meteorites of 716 different falls and finds. The meteorite collection of the Mineralogical Museum Hamburg is digitalized and information is available accessable online through the portal DigiCULT.
L6 chondrite DAG 985 (96 g),